Thursday, November 6, 2014

Divergent Essay


Ariana Henry 802
Many teens struggle with the various things that make them different.  However having someone that shares the difference is beneficial for the relationship itself and the teen.  Veronica Roth’s novel, Divergent portrays the difficulties of 16 year old Beatrice(Tris)’s life in a science fiction universe.  In her world, people are separated by different personality traits.  These groups are called “Factions”.  When Beatrice turns 16, she changes from the selflessness faction of Abnegation to the fearless faction, Dauntless.  She wonders if she really belongs to one Faction.  Maybe she belongs to all five.  That would make her Divergent.
When two people are in a relationship having a something that they share, in this case being Divergent, brings them closer.  In a quote found on page 335 when Tris asks about Tobias’s aptitude test he says, “My results we as expected...Abnegation”  Tris responds, “‘Oh’.  Something inside me deflates.  I am wrong…,”But you choose Dauntless anyway’ [Tris says]/’Out of necessity’ [says Tobias]”  Tobias is Divergent and Tris is very happy.  They both have something that differentiates themselves from the rest of the world and they feel connected.  Tris is able to completely trust Tobias now that he is an open book.  They know that they will be dealing with similar issues which strengthens their relationship.  In another quote from page 441-442, we find out that Natalie (Tris’s mom) is Divergent.  Tris says, “‘Mom, how do you know about Divergence?”  Natalie answers with “I know about them because I am one.”  Tris says, “I feel like someone breathed new air into my lungs.  I am not Abnegation.  I am not Dauntless./I am Divergent…I wish I had some of her[Natalie] in my small, plain face.  But at least I have some of her in my brain.”  Having someone as close as her mother be Divergent has led Tris to feel happy about finally sharing something with her mother (even if it isn’t a physical trait).  Tris loves and trusts her mother, she knows that if her mom can get through it, so can she.  It allows Tris to accept herself.  This brings Tris and her mother closer because they both have a better understanding of each other.  When two people share something, helps their relationship.
Feeling accepted or embraced by someone or a group of people can really boost your self-esteem and help you develop.  In the book, when Tris decides to “go Dauntless” and slides down a 100 story building.  When she is about to hit the ground she says, “In order to get down, I have to trust them to catch me...I wriggle forward and fall…”  Tris decides to trust them.  She feels accepted when she is with them.  It makes Tris a happier person.  The text states, “...when they laugh, I laugh...We are not the same.  But we are, somehow, one.”  Some Dauntless may accept Tris’s differences but everyone celebrates their similarities.  A few Dauntless help Tris become more comfortable.  They help her develop and see that she can have a good time.  Tris is able to revise her outlook.  In the book, when Tris finds out about Tobias being Divergent she is relieved.  So reassured that she has her first kiss, “For a second his dark eyes are on mine, and he’s quiet...He grins and presses his mouth to mine.”  Tris would have not felt as comfortable if Tobias wasn’t Divergent.  She wouldn’t have been able to take a chance.  Tris really needed that one similarity to really feel like she trusted and loved him.  Tobias being Divergent helped Tris develop.  Sharing a difference with someone can make you a happier and more refined person.

In this book, the idea that having someone that is going through a similar situation is beneficial is mentioned.  Whether it enhances a relationship or helps a character develop, there is always something to get out of it.  If Tris had been all alone would she still be wallowing in her fears and feeling like an outcast?  Whenever I feel strange or all alone I can always go to my mom because I know that she has been there and fully supports the decisions I make.  I enjoyed Divergent.  I thought the authors ideas were well developed but simple (not always a good thing). I look forward to reading the second.

No comments:

Post a Comment